Good News, File Preview Issue is fixed in Chrome 76.0.3791.0, which is going to be released in late July… For all details please check the official issue/ticket description from Google:
I recently deployed a new Connections Environment, together with IBM Connections Docs Applications. After the installation I have encountered an issue with a File Preview, some files cannot be viewed in a Google Chrome Browser. Screenshot of the issue:
We could reproduce this issue only with “.doc” and “.docx” files and only in Google Chrome, version 72, where the Preview still works well with other office files like “.ppt” and “.xlsx”. In other Browsers like the newest version of Firefox (65.0.2) and IE, there are no such issues.
It turns out that issue lies with Code in the current Version of Google Chrome, Version 72.0.x, so if you have the possibility, try to delay or stop the update in your environment until there is a solution for this issue. IBM is currently working on a Fix for this Bug, and it may be available as a Fix for IBM Connections Files rather than a IBM Docs Fix, so read the Release notices carefully.
As a workaround you can open the problematic files in “Edit” mode, if you have sufficient access rights, here the contents will be displayed without any issue.
I have deployed IBM Connections 6.0 CR4 and IBM Docs 2.0 CR3 iFix006, but some folks have the same issue also with older Version of IBM Connections and IBM Docs.
As of today Docs 2.0 CR3 iFix 006 is available for download from the Fix Central, it includes the following Fixes:
- Fixed the issue of failing to open files when the browser language setting is en-* other than en, en-us, or en-gb by providing a solution of language fallback to en.
- Fixed the sanity check failure of soffice process on Linux Conversion server.
- Fixed the hang issue caused by some files with specific wmf images.
- Fixed a rare issue that content might be corrupted when multiple editors start editing the same document at the same time.
- Fixed the issue of one specific document that contains empty shape cannot be opened after publishing.
- Fixed the issue of title shown as “undefined” in the dialog of Insert Special Character.
- Fixed the issue that some comment items are duplicated in the view of comments list when co-editing.
- Added Copy Formatting that you can use to quickly copy and apply text styles and list styles by clicking the icon.
- Increased the supported file size to 300 slides and 100MB, and removed the restriction of 3000 objects(such as text boxes, shapes, images and OLE objects).
- Fixed the issue that font size shown in IBM Docs presentation editor is smaller than in MS office.
- Fixed the date time formatting issue in some specific time zones (for example, Dublin Summer Time) after upgrading your browser.
- Fixed the issue that documents cannot be opened in Viewer when watermark is turned on.
Prior to installing this iFix you need to install CR3 for IBM Docs 2.0, iFix 006 includes the updates from all previous iFix updates.
Official Release Notes to IBM Docs 2.0 CR3 iFix006.
IBM Connections Docs 2.0 CR3 is available and it brings some long awaited enhancements.
With CR3 you can deploy Conversion application on a Linux machine, that means, that your whole Docs 2.0 environment can be deployed on Linux, you can also migrate the already deployed Conversion application from Windows to Linux.
Other cool thing is the “Track Change”, with this feature everyone who has editor access can see in a sidebar what changes were made and by whom. I saw this feature once in a demo and it looks great.
CR3 includes all previous fixes.
Official release notes article.